Thursday, July 19, 2012

on my flight to guadalajara

On my flight to Guadalajara a couple of weeks back, I sat behind a lovely young lady. I guessed her to be about 7 or 8 years old. She kept looking at me from between the seats, speaking to me in Spanish - for the entire flight.

Every once in a while, she'd break into an English song (the only English I imagined her to know):

"There was a farmer who had a dog, and Bingo was his name-oh! B. I. N. G. O. ..."

That song became my earworm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm> for the next two weeks. While folding laundry and washing dishes and brushing my teeth and fueling my car and riding my bike and shopping at Safeway and running other errands, I found myself humming, "B. I. N. G. O. ..."

I wondered: Rather than a allowing a random voice to run rampant in my cranium, wouldn't it be great to have an earworm of my own choosing? Maybe I could create an earworm of my own design?

Perhaps something like, "There was a Source who had a son, and David was his name-oh!"

Oh, don't I wish!

If you figure out how to do that, let me know, deal?

In the meantime, I am thinking of that lovely young lady and thanking her for bringing a smile to my soul and a song to my lips.

2 comments: