Wednesday, July 11, 2012

three things to know about working with intentions

1). an intention is not the same as a vision.

A vision is sort of like what I see when I close my eyes and imagine a new possibility - it's something that I hope will happen. This is lovely, but it does not generate anything new in my life. An intention is not a hope - it is a promise.


2). everything that is necessary for the intention to take place is inside the intention itself.

'Nuff said.


3). my GPS has no preference.

When I get into my car, I don't ask the GPS where it wants me to go. Rather, I program it with a desired destination, and the GPS guides me there by means of an efficient route. Setting an intention is as simple as programming a GPS - and then heading in that direction. 

for today, those are three things to know about working with intentions.

6 comments:

  1. "An intention is... a promise." ... would love to hear more about PROMISE. An agreement with oneself? A truism? PROMISE puts me into the future. Interesting -- your characterization of "non-negotiables" this past Sunday just bubbled up from my memory banks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joni,

    promise |ˈpräməs|

    noun

    a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen: what happened to all those firm promises of support?| [ with clause ] : he took my fax number with the promise that he would send me a drawing | [ with infinitive ] : I did not keep my promise to go home early.

    verb
    1 [ reporting verb ] assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare that something will happen: [with infinitive ] : he promised to forward my mail | [ with clause ] : she made him promise that he wouldn't do it again | [ with direct speech ] : “I'll bring it right back,” she promised | [ with two objs. ] : he promised her the job.

    Love!
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the background! I can attest to #3 about intentions being like GPS. Program it and go forth! You can't be attached to the route though; arguing with GPS is futile. This completely worked for me in my career search; looking back it was a wonderous experience that placed me exactly in the role I wanted/needed to be. Thanks for the reminder, Dr. D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you using "a vision" differently than "visioning"? I thought visioning was stilling oneself so that we might know what God has in mind for our highest expression. I believe it's only when we become "no-body" that God can begin to work in and through us. Perhaps a "vision" is just a fabrication of our limited thinking. Kent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kent,

    I am using vision like visualization - as distinguished from visioning.

    Thanks for asking!

    Love,
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your blog and it really has a great look!

    ReplyDelete